Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Jacob's 1st Day of School

Dearest Baby Boy,

I know you are not much of a baby anymore, but you will ALWAYS be my baby boy. From the moment I thought I was pregnant with you, I remember lying awake in bed one night, crying and praying to God that I was pregnant. All I wanted my whole life was you. I waited so long, prayed so hard, and as they say "good things happen to those who wait"- you came down from heaven for me. From the moment you were born, our lives became all about one thing: you. Every month, was so exciting, from your 1st smile to your 1st tooth, to you first sitting up, to rolling over, crawling, saying Dadda and Mamma, pulling yourself up, walking, and then talking...and here you are today...you are our little talker, our little dreamer, our little make believer. You are such a dream and such a joy in every way. You "wow" us everyday. Even when we didn't think it was possible to love anymore, our love grows SO much more every single day for you with challenges and all. After you turned 1, I thought it would be a good idea, to get you involved in some mom and tot socializing activities outside of the home in a learning environment. We joined a tumbling class, where you learned to meet new friends, teachers, and explore EVERYTHING. You amazed me, and you loved it. From there, we joined "Super Kids" as well at the Park District where you did arts and crafts, learned how to follow directions from a teacher through obstacle coarses, and LOVED it....and still continued to amaze me, and the teachers. We signed you up for swimming last Summer, where you wanted nothing to do with putting your head/face in the water...but by the end of the session, you were a little fish. Last year, I signed you up for "Language Stars" - a mom and tot class where we learned how to communicate and interact in Spanish. You excelled beyond my wildest dreams. You understand everything the teacher says to you as well as your Grandma Olivia and Daddy when they speak/read to you in Spanish. This year, you are in Spanish again- but this time, on your own. This class is full of older kids (4-year olds), yet the teachers said you knew the most!!! Once again, you continued to amaze me. Prior to this Fall, we also did some "On My Own" Preschool readiness classes at the Park District as well, where you learned to spend time in a classroom environment with just the teachers and kids...you struggled at first because it was the first time you were without me, but by the 3rd class, you were Mr. Independent. You and I made a "Special Agreement"- we would blow kisses and save them, and give hugs, and wrap our arms around ourselves to save them as well...we do it everytime now...and you understand that "Mommy always comes back." I again, have never been more proud. It is Fall 2011 (you will be 3 in a few weeks), you just entered PreSchool today...
You are enrolled at St.Mark's Day School in Barrington Hills - it is a sweet little church with a day school attached...with over 10-acres of beautiful rolling hills, some horse farms nearby, a great playground, and fantastic classrooms, yet most important, teachers who LOVE what they do. These teachers have been with the program for over 20-years...and that is why it has always been such a well-known, popular program in the area. They are great. The classrooms and hallways are like a "mini grade-school" with a gym- where you can learn karate, soccer, even yoga. Every month, you will also be going to the chapel for some songs and prayer time. You want to know the best part? It is 2-minutes (by car and 5-minutes by foot) from Grandma Joey and Pa's house!!!
Today was your 1st day. I have had lots of mixed emotions about this. I have been nervous because it is a HUGE step in your life (it is only 2.5 hours a day 2x a week), you will be on your own, learning to make friends, following instructions, and going to the potty all by yourself. I will not be there. I am excited, yet sad...it is now YOUR turn to live a couple hours a day without me...someone else will be teaching you things and seeing your reactions WITHOUT me. I wanted to know everything you did today...you told me, yet it just wasn't enough...I really wanted to see it - play by play. Yet, I am SO proud of you. I am excited for you as well. This is going to teach you lots of independence and so many things that I may not be able to teach you. You will have friends, your own circle...a life outside of home. This is the beginning of your school years. Today, you woke up, we had a special breakfast of pancakes, bacon, sausage, bananas, chocolate milk (special occasion), and a new book from Mommy and Daddy. You were so excited, and so mature this morning. There was no whining or wanting to watch TV...you ate and we talked, and then made our way to school. When we got there, you let me put your back pack on (which you normally haven't allowed me to just do), and we walked holding hands into school. As we approached your classroom, you took a few steps back as if you weren't really sure. We waited for the teacher, washed our hands, signed in, and looked around a bit (we visited the other day for your "Meet the Teacher" day with Mommy, Daddy, and Emerson), it was a bit familiar, and you seemed content, I gave you a hug (you saved it) and a kiss (you saved that as well), you started to show hesitation, the teacher picked you up, and off I went. When I returned, you were waiting for me with a huge smile on your face, with project in hand, and stories. Teachers (Mrs. Kelley and Mrs. Struebing) said you did great. You even went pee-pee on the potty by yourself!!! As we were leaving, I said, "Lets go to McDondalds." You said, "Yeah! Hold on....Mrs.Kelley, Mrs. Smith (the principal)- " as you ran back to the room, "we are going to McDonalds!!" You seem comfortable and a new sort- of maturity has kind of taken over. I am so proud (as I cry as I write this)- you are my Baby Boy and you are so big. Way to Go, Jake! Happy 1st Day of School.

(A glimpse of the past, Our Baby Boy)
We are so proud of you. Kisses (save) and Hugs (save). Once again, you amaze me.

Love,

Mommy








1 comment:

Teresa said...

OMG he is getting so big especially with his backpack on. What a sweet letter Jill!

We are so proud of you Jacob...I bet he is going LOVE School...little Mr. Social Butterfly!

Also I LOVE that you save hugs & kisses...I might have to borrow that one!